How Are You Doing?
It has been over five months that we have been living in this "New Reality" and it has taken a toll on many of us. In addition, the isolation and lack of normalcy just adds to our stress and anxiety. During this time depression is running rampant. I can not stress enough how important it is for you to connect with God and others at this time. Usually, we church people like to act like everything is fine and God will get us through it. I do believe God will get us through it, but it is important for you to know that you are not alone and that it is okay to ask for help.
Philippians 4:6-7 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Not only will God help you, but God will put people in your life to help you through tough times. Here at Kendall Church we want you to know that you are cared for and that we are here to help. As you know, if you are going through a rough time please reach out to me and let's talk Email
. You can also reach out to fellow church members who you know. The important thing is to talk to someone. Isolation and anxiety keep us believing lies and do not want us to reach out for help. Sometimes just sharing our fears is helpful.
In addition, all this month we are featuring several opportunities for you to seek help if you are going through a tough time or know people who are.
- Discussion with Dr. Tim Boyett on "Fear is a Liar" this Wednesday at 7 pm as part of our "Discussions about God & Life". Email me if you want a Zoom invite. Dr. Tim says what you put in your mouth, do with your body, and allow in your soul have a major effect on your mental health.
- Wellspring Counseling - KUMC has had a wonderful relationship with our neighbors, Wellspring Counseling, and we would like for you to know they are a wonderful place to seek help, especially during these times. In addition to counseling, Wellspring produces free mental health education weekly through radio/podcasts, blog, and e-newsletter in addition to counseling as a part of their mission of restoring hearts and minds. Also, they have started new free "Online Therapy Groups" that you might find helpful. Please click on this link if interested.
- 2-1-1 Helpline is a free and confidential phone service that helps people across the USA, and parts of Canada and Puerto Rico. It provides information about local resources they might need. The 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Helpline Services connects people of all ages, assist families, and youth cope with their most pressing issues.
The 2-1-1 Miami Helpline is staffed by specially trained counselors that are prepared to offer help with any situation, in English, Spanish and Creole, (and multilingual capacity), to parents, caregivers and adolescents looking for information on/and referrals to local crisis counseling resources. Our own Pastor Ruben was trained by them and volunteered with them back when they were Switchboard of Miami!
Remember you are not alone, God and your Church care about you. If you find yourself lost and in need to talk to someone please seek out help. It is okay to not always be okay.
Isaiah 41:10 "Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."
In addition to counseling, Wellspring produces free mental health education weekly through radio/podcasts, blog, and e-newsletter as a part of their mission of restoring hearts and minds.
During the month of August, they will be hosting several online groups, which you are welcome to be a part of.
For more information & resources, please visit their website https://www.wellspringmiami.org
Wellspring Counseling Inc.
14401 Old Cutler Road, Miami, FL 33158
Here's how Online Therapy Groups are a source of help:
- You are not alone--a dynamic of healing exists by being with others who share similar challenges and are guided by a professional therapist.
- Therapy groups can serve as stand alone mental health service or in tandem with individual therapy sessions.
- Groups are ongoing, so you can join for a season, take a break, and then return to the group.
- There is also an opportunity help others as you are being helped.
Several group options are available starting next week. Click the group name to get more information or to get register:COPING WITH COVID
Monday, August 3rd: 5-6pmBIPOC Racial Injustice Support (Black, Indigenous, and Persons of Color)
Wednesday, August 5th: 6-7pmANXIETY
Wednesday, August 5th: 5-6pmDEPRESSION
Thursday, August 6th: 6:30-7:30pm
We're Here to Help
What is 2-1-1?:
2-1-1 is a special, free and confidential phone service that helps people across the USA, and parts of Canada and Puerto Rico. It provides information about the local resources they need. The 211 service is available to approximately 309 million persons and covers all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
When you dial 211, you will be connected with the nearest 211 in your area.
- In Miami and Monroe Counties, 2-1-1 Miami Helpline is a program of Jewish Community Services. It provides free, confidential telephone crisis counseling, crisis intervention, and information and referrals for all health and human service.
-The 24 hours a day, seven days a week Helpline Services connects people of all ages and assist families and youth cope with their most pressing issues.
-The 2-1-1 Miami Helpline is staffed by specially trained counselors that are prepared to offer help with any situation, in English, Spanish and Creole, (and multilingual capacity), to parents, caregivers and adolescents looking for information on/and referrals to local crisis counseling resources.
-Get connected, Get answers. Benefits of calling your JCS Miami 2-1-1:
-Get connected to 4,000 + Health & Human Services-Free and Confidential-Crisis Intervention-Advocacy
- TRAUMA/VIOLENCE PREVENTION & INTERVENTION
Specialized therapy to survivors of sexual abuse, sexual assault, domestic violence, and bullying
- FAMILY COUNSELING
Mental health services for families
- HELP ME GROW
Early detection and intervention to ensure optimal outcomes for children
- SUICIDE PREVENTION Expertise in suicide prevention and intervention
- VETERANS SUPPORT
Assisting transition back into civilian life
- YOUTH WELLNESS PROGRAMS
Provide at-risk youth with the skills to make positive choices
- HELP WITH CORONAVIRUS & COVID-19-related situations: although 211 is not a service for medical emergencies, people suffering from financial situations, loss of income, emergency food, childcare needs, can access 211 for referrals.
One of the best ways to help ease our anxieties and worries is through prayer. Philippians 4:6-7 says "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
The Spiritual Warfare by Dr. David Jeremiah
Continue joining us in prayer everyday as we pray for different needs. You can read scripture with us and be in focused prayer with each other. Our Prayer Team has developed a weekly Prayer Calendar where you can read scripture daily with us and be in focused prayer with each other.Click here for the August 2020 calendar!
During the time that families have been worshipping at home by viewing our church's services on Facebook and YouTube, the Trustees of our church along with the Strategic Team have been hard at work to make sure that our church looks bright and beautiful once everyone returns when it is safe to worship together again. Because of the hard work of Royce Rundlett and Bruce Arthur, not all of the proceeds from the loan that the church took out with the Methodist Foundation to pay for the new roof were used. These savings, along with $14,000 in additional monies were approved by the Strategic Team to use for the updates in the sanctuary and throughout the church facility. Also, additional money and material were donated by individual church members to help with the cost of these updates. John Chenet indicated that he knows how old the carpet and pew cushions in the sanctuary are because they were completed just a few weeks before his wife and he were married on November 11, 1989. In other words, for 31 years the carpet, tiles, and pew cushions have served us well. However, the time has come to update them.
UV lights have been installed in the air handlers throughout the church property to kill bacteria. Hector Lopez, who is in charge of our church facility, single-handedly repainted the entire narthex and the sanctuary. Royce Rundlett, along with a team of workers, made the area between the sanctuary and the preschool building safe for children by installing fences and artificial turf. Gutters have been installed in a variety of locations around the church to redirect rainwater as it flows off the roof. Plans are in the works for new landscaping in the area in front of the round section of the church on 77th avenue that comprises the church offices and the choir room. Finally, over the past few weeks, a team of church members have gotten estimates and selected samples for the Strategic Team to approve in order to update our sanctuary. The narthex will have beautiful marble or porcelain floors, and the sanctuary will be re-carpeted in shades of blue and grey. The name of the new carpet style is “unrivaled.” This is a perfect name because it describes the love of God for us. Reaching a decision to update the sanctuary was not an easy one but we believe it is the right one at this time. We cannot wait for everyone to come together again to worship our heavenly Father in our beautiful sanctuary when the time is right.
Living In God's Grace,
KUMC Strategic Team
Please join Pastor Ruben in doing daily devotionals by signing up for The Upper Room online. We have used The Upper Room devotional for years but have stopped purchasing the printed copies. For a few dollars a month, you can get the devotionals online or sign up for a FREE 30-day trial by clicking here
Check out www.upperroom.org
for more information.
For the Month of August, we will read the daily devotional and be in prayer together! Join us!
To see the different purchase options, click here
for The Upper Room daily devotional guide digital edition.
SUGGESTIONS FOR A BETTER WORSHIP EXPERIENCE
from Pastor Ruben Velasco
I know worshiping at home in front of a computer or television set is not the same as worshiping in person. I know my family struggles to have the same discipline and commitment to stay focused during service as we do when we are in church together. This is our new reality for now, but we also know this is temporary.
Here are a few suggestions I pray will help you during worship until we can be safely together again:
- Start your worship time with your own personal prayer. Ask God to help clear your mind to have the right mind set for worship. Ask God for what message does God have for you that day.
- Set your "worship" time for the same time every week. This helps you set a pattern. We have families that worship together during the week not just on Sunday's.
- Try to worship with others. Call your whole family together who live in the same house. If you live alone call other church members or family and friends who live far away to worship with you.
- YouTube seems the best way to experience our Church service. Facebook is good as well, but it comes with some distractions.
- The advantage of worshiping with Facebook live at 9AM, 11AM or 5PM is that you can join others at the same time and chat with them.
- Find a room that you will use every week to become your worship room.
- Prepare your worship area with items that connect you with God. You can make this into a fun event.
- Bring your Bibles and read along. Write down the passages and meditate on them through out the week.
- Do not just sing with us but think about the message of each song.
- Set aside any distractions.
- Let us know you have worship with us. The easiest way is Facebook live chat or go to our Facebook page and drop us a note.
If you have not already done so, please "Like" us on Facebook
and 'Subscribe' to our YouTube
channel. It helps us spread the message!
KUMC CONTINUES ITS NON-PERISHABLE FOOD
AND CLEANING SUPPLIES COLLECTION FOR FAMILIES IN NEED!
Thank you for your continued support of our food & supplies collection! The recent donations have been dropped off to Branches in Florida City.
Food insecurity continues to be on the rise in South Florida. We are still collecting non-perishable food items and cleaning supplies. You may drop off donations any day/time in the blue bins placed under the large awning in front of the doors leading into the Church Sanctuary (bins will be emptied daily). The food items will be distributed weekly to one of the food bank agencies which KUMC supports (CPHI, Branches, and COFFO/Migrant ministry). If you are able, you can donate online securely on our website www.kendallchurch.org and specify FOOD BANK on your donation.
Please note that the blue bin will be disinfected every day and every precaution will be implemented during the collection and distribution process. At this stage, this food collection has no end date.
If you and your family are in need of any assistance during this time, please contact us at, info at kendallchurch dot org.
Please keep safe and know that if you are able to help with these items, it will be a blessing to our brothers and sisters in Christ!
WAYS TO REMAIN CONNECTED WITH KUMC DURING THE WEEK!
Continue joining us in prayer every day as we pray for different needs. You can read scripture with us and be in focused prayer with each other.
- Send us your prayer request to our Request Prayer page.
- Contact Pastor Ruben with any thoughts or prayer requests. You can reach him directly at (305) 304-0107 or by email.
- Keep in touch with the people you usually sit next to at church. Have you signed up for the Servant Keeper Online Directory yet? It is easy and a great way to stay connected!
- ZOOM BIBLE STUDY "DISCUSSIONS ABOUT GOD & LIFE" - Every Wednesday from 7 pm - 8 pm Pastor Ruben leads a Bible Study using Zoom. If any of you would like to join, please email Pastor Ruben so he can send you an invitation.
- If you are part of a small group or want to create a new KUMC small group, you can host your own Zoom meeting. It is easy and we can help you do it. Get in contact with us!
Here are some groups you can join via Zoom:
- Prayer Team - Wednesdays | 2 pm
- Wednesday Night Discussions about God & Life | 7 pm
- 'LIVE' Young Adults - Fridays | 7 pm
- Youth Group - Wednesdays & Fridays | 7 pm
- Couples Group - 1st Friday of the Month | 7 pm
- Facebook live Worship Chats - Sundays | 9 am & 11 am
- Bible Study groups that meet Sunday mornings | Koinonia & Word Processors
- Serendipity - Sundays | 1 pm
We know many of you are struggling financially.
You might have lost your job, or your pay has been cut. These are challenging times, but you are not alone. Please show grace to each other and together we will get through this. If you are blessed with work and are financially able, we ask that you remember your church with your offerings. You can mail a check to us, drop it off in our mailbox right outside the South Office Hallway door, or go to our website and give securely online
. If you cannot give at this time, please pray for us and help us reach people with God's love.
NOW - AUGUST 14
Remember, there is no registration at the door!
Please call the Camp Office if you wish to hop on this adventure!
Also, if you need to stop by the Camp Office, please call before coming to schedule a time.
Once you arrive at the gate, call to notify you are there, as you will need to be screened first (i.e. temperature screening) before entering the facility.
Join us on the "Rocky Railway"
where kids climb aboard a faith-filled adventure to discover that trusting in Jesus pulls them through life's ups and downs. Rocky Railroad is full of incredible Bible-learning experiences, fun games, and cool Bible songs that help faith flow into each kid's life. This fun-packed summer camp also includes weekly in-house field trips. Please download the registration packet here
and return the required documents to the Camp Office.
Please note that summer camp will be very small this year. Make sure to turn in your registration form AND payment ASAP to secure your spot at camp!Camp Mustard Seed
Monday - Thursday
10 am - 3 pm
(305) 667-0343 ext. email@example.com
Building D, Room 20
A MESSAGE FROM OUR YOUTH DIRECTOR
Hello to all of my KUMC YOUTH PEEPS,
Wow, what a crazy time this has been for all of us. It seems like it's been forever since we've met as a group...a family. Let me say that I miss you all very much. We don't yet have a date as to when we will be re-starting our get togethers, but I will definitely keep you posted as to when and what and how we will be doing it. I can't wait!!!
We are still having our meetings on ZOOM...Wed & Fri nights from 7-9 PM. As for now, it's what we have. I can't stress the importance of fellowship, which is why I encourage each one of you to join us either Wednesdays or Fridays or both, if you can. It's so important for us to come together as we encourage each other with God's word. We really need to lift each other up, especially during these times.
Please remember that I am always here for you...so feel free to DM, text or call me at any time!!! Also, let me know if you have any prayer concerns.
Also, let me know of any ideas or thoughts of any topics that you'd like to talk about.
Remember to social distance, wash your hands and wear a mask when in public!
I look forward to seeing you at our ZOOM Meetings!!! Send me a message through @kumcyouth305
or steve at kendallchurch dot org, so that I can send you an invite. Also, please message me your prayer concerns via our secure Contact Form
In His Love,
We do not yet have a date for live worship in the Sanctuary, because, as most of you know, this virus is very hard to predict and understand. Please read our GUIDELINES FOR OPENING OUR CHURCH
developed by our Transition Team!
HELP KUMC WHILE SHOPPING ON AMAZON
Amazon customers can now support Kendall United Methodist Church in the Amazon shopping app on iOS and Android mobile phones! Simply follow these instructions to turn on AmazonSmile and start generating donations.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your device
- Go into the main menu of the Amazon Shopping app and tap into 'Settings'
- Tap 'AmazonSmile' and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process
If you do not have the latest version of the Amazon Shopping app, update your app. Click here for instructions.
Not using the app? No problem - Just click this link
or copy and paste the URL into your browser: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/59-0909326